Cat urine outside the litter box can cause all sorts of damage to rugs, hardwood floors, and clothing (not to mention your relationship with your cat). It can also be a sign of a serious medical condition. East Fallser Dr. Caroline Patten, of Liberty Veterinary Clinic, resident) has some tips to deal with inappropriate urination in her column this month.
House soiling, or inappropriate urination, is the most common behavioral problem of cats. However, when a cat urinates outside of the litter box, this behavioral problem may have an underlying medical cause.
Some cats will urinate outside the litter box when they are feeling sick, have a urinary tract infection, urinary bladder stones, or generalized inflammation of the bladder (cystitis). These cats should have a thorough medical work up by a veterinarian. A veterinarian can then determine the appropriate treatment.
If no underlying medical issues are apparent, then the behavioral component of house soiling can be addressed. Cats may urinate outside the litter box if the type of litter or litter box has changed, the litter box is not cleaned regularly, or the cat is feeling stressed. A cat may become stressed for many different reasons. Some possible stressors include other cats in the house, a dog in the house, stray cats outside the house, new house guests, house repairs, or any other change to the household. Reducing stressors in a house can help reduce house soiling.
Here are some tips to help prevent inappropriate urination in cats.
- Try Feliway Spray. Feliway spray uses a cat pheromone to naturally reduce a cat’s level of stress.
- Place additional litter boxes in different parts of the house. There should be one more litter box than the number of cats in a house.
- Put litter boxes in low stress, safe, quiet areas.
- Clean the litter box regularly. Cats are very fastidious and prefer clean litter boxes.
- Try using a different type of litter or litter box which may be more preferential for your cat.
- Thoroughly clean previously soiled areas.
View the full Article HERE
Article from East Falls Local